Saturday, October 8, 2011

Execrise 3: Ways to Begin a Story

Fee, I don't know how to reply to your comments off the top of my head so make sure to check back here until I figure it out.

I fell off the writing wagon a bit due to a changing work schedule but I plan on getting back on starting today. So without further ado, exercise 3!


With a Generalization


They are all the same. No matter how they dress, talk, act, or look; exactly the same....


With a Description of a Person

Tall and skinny with not a lot of hair. Casual, matching business clothes and a really, really stupid grin. That's him, all right.


With Narrative Summary


Their wedding was just right around the corner to everyone's surprise. They never thought it would go this far. They didn't even like each other but as it seems love has nothing to do with liking one another.


With Dialogue

"Whatever you do, don't stare are her tits." said Dad. He stared anyways.


With Several Characters but no Dialogue


Chatter, chatter, chatter! Just endless chatter. Nonsense from the secretary, vindictive gibberish from the boss, irrelevant jibberjab from the coworkers, and defensive humor from myself. Business as usual.


With a Setting and Only One Character


He had his armor on extra tight tonight. The woods became more of a dangerous place since the war. Veterans that now resort to banditry on the main roads, pickpockets and thieves lurking at resting areas, overprotective, near paranoid workers at clearings, and even deeper there be dragons.


With a Reminiscent Narrator

The food I ate that night was something else, not that great but at least it tasted like food.


With a Child Narrator

Daddy is so overprotective but when I'm scared there is no other place I'd rather be than in his arms. When I'm in there there is no monster or scary thing that can reach me, I'm too well protected inside of my "Dad Fort".


By Establishing a Point of View

First person

Her Dad did not care for me at all. I never really got why, her ex had a record, hit her, stole from him, and, surprise surprise, used drugs yet he always liked him much better than me. He even oh-so-conveniently invited him over the first time I went over for dinner.

Third person


A rose, a single rose. That's all that was left after the fire. Her garden of so many years reduced to a single flower. But it bloomed and stood tall as if it were defiantly challenging her to start again.





This was fun. This was actually supposed to be two parts. I practice with each opening types then use each of them on a single story to change it up. Since this is eating up time I'll do it for my next post and pick one of these sentences to experiment on like the last exercise since I don't have a story in mind that I want to fiddle with at the moment.

No comments: