Sunday, September 11, 2011

Exercise 1: First Sentences: Beginning in the Middle

I finally got my copy of "What If?" 3rd Edition. I'll be doing three exercises a week as part of my exploration in writing:

Ten "middle" sentences:

1. It wasn't very hot but it was still pretty warm, he found it to be quite wonderful actually.

2. And that was that, after everything they'd been through; that was it.

3. The music touched his soul in all the wrong ways but he couldn't stop listening.

4. He couldn't stop giggling, try as he might, it reminded him too much of a boob.

5. And the Lord, the Lord God in Heaven said down from high: "Fuck you all!"

6. As the saying goes: "If it burns it's working!" a reminder of the flawed logic of not-so long ago.

7. He held her hand then looked her sincerely in the eyes and said: "Your life is going to be a great adventure and I'd like you to take me with you, not as your friend but as your companion."

8. They went over the hills, under a cave, through a valley, and finally up the path to what they hoped would be home.

9. What was supposed to be a quick skirmish became a great battle with the harsh realization that afterwards all that they had gained would be promptly taken back the next day faster than they had won it.

10. A hug and a kiss, that's all it usually took to make everything all right and that night was no different.



That was fun, I noticed that almost every little idea I've ever had has been in the middle like this. Having this exercise in my artist toolbox makes putting it down so much easier and in perspective. Now let's just see if I can get Fee motivated!

1 comment:

Caleb Hughes said...

I'll get motivated again. I've just been going through some major issues in regards to the relationship I'm in, some work problems and a very nasty head cold the last couple weeks. I'm determined to get back into writing though. It shall happen, Red.